Sunday, August 20, 2006

Roundtable Numbero One

Longtime Pitch Right favorite The House that Rock Built has released the first BlogPoll Roundtable of the season, focusing mainly on how dumb we all are as self appointed "experts" of the college football online universe. Just in case you're into the fact-checking bussiness, hyah's my ballot.

What's the biggest ripoff in this preseason poll? Either pick a team that's offensively over or underrated, or you can rag on a particular voter's bad pick (hey, we're all adults here, we can handle it).

I was going to say Jeff’s choice of Georgia Tech at #7, but after hearing him at least attempt to explain himself on Brian’s podcast, I’ll let it slide for the time being. One thing that does irk me just a tad, ok more then a tad, is Orson’s childish imitation of The ‘Ol Ball Coach with his 25th pick. How can you pick Duke? They literally have no Quarterback at the present after Asack was suspended, and despite doing well in the recruiting wars are likely only to win one game this year (against Richmond). While I admire Orson’s writing style and will be the first to admit EDSBS is the funniest website I’ve ever read, I can’t help but think he’s nothing more then a tool in Spurriers sick games.

What should a preseason poll measure? Specifically, should it be a predictor of end-of-season standing (meaning that a team's schedule should be taken into account when determining a ranking), or should it merely be a barometer of talent/hype/expectations?

A preseason poll should take into account how the team finished at the end of the previous season, the personnel it returns, the personnel it brings in (recruits), and any intangibles like schedule, coaching, and the system the team uses. Let’s use Navy as an example, because I’m most familiar with the program. After finishing 8-4 with a quality Bowl win, Navy returns 18 starters to play this year. They have an X’s and O’s genius at Head Coach in Paul Johnson, know the system well, and have a number of quality players coming in and coming up. A perfect recipe for a highly ranked team if not for the obvious disparity in talent between the Top 15 and the Service Academies, wouldn’t you say? I think you need to strike a balnce as far as hype goes. Certainly Tennessee and Purdue were facing a lot of hype last year, and neither produced. Am I making any sense? Basically I think the preseason pollster should take into account the factors I outlined, but let’s face it, we are a very biased bunch.

What is your biggest stretch in your preseason ballot? That is to say, which team has the best chance of making you look like an idiot for overrating them?

Navy at #21. As some of you know, I had the Mids at #25 until it became “cool” for patriotic bloggers to include Navy as high as #19. In all seriousness, Navy probably doesn’t deserve to be a preseason Top 25 team, although I think (and hope) with a good start they can move into that position. There are still some questions regarding the team, and I would move them into the 25-30 area before I see them prove me wrong against ECU. Arizona State at #15 is nothing more then a shout-out to my homedawg Phil Steele.


Sam Keller is a Phil Steele fan too

What do you see as the biggest flaw in the polling system (both wire service and blogpolling)? Is polling an integral part of the great game of college football, or is it an outdated system that needs to be replaced? If you say the latter, enlighten us with your new plan.

Well, for us bloggers it’s obviously our own allegiances and biases. We all love certain teams and we all hate certain teams, it’s just that simple. I think the Coaches Poll gets into that a little too. I think you’ll get a bias towards certain conferences, and definitely a shift away from the non-BCS teams. Polling on any level should stay (especially ESPN.com’s Bottom 10), but I don’t recommend taking it too seriously, at least not when it comes down to the BCS. That’s a separate issue I’m not even going to dare to take on.

2 comments:

Psycho Zombie From Outer Space said...

Sam Keller may be a Phil Steele fan, but it looks like he's not an Arizona State fan anymore. ;)

Adam said...

Damn, good call jazzy