Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Delaware

It has been an incredibly slow week as far as college football is concerned, and we've yet to get any official word on who the Navy team captains will be for the 2007 season (although there are plenty of rumors out there.)

There is an interesting tidbit I found in a recent article on The Sports Network, where FCS (they tell me that's the new name for I-AA) writer Matt Dougherty ranks the top potential upsets of I-AA teams over I-A teams for next season. He ranks Delaware's visit to Annapolis as his 7th Most Likely "Upset" over a non-BCS I-A foe, citing the Blue Hens' victory over Navy in 2003 as well some key transfers Delaware has received this year. The Blue Hens get some much needed talent and experience from the I-A ranks, including defensive lineman Ronald Talley from Notre Dame and running back Jerry Butler from Wisconsin.

There is no question the Blue Hens will be gunning for the Midshipmen, and after Navy's close-call last year against UMass, it's should not be hard to find motivation for this game. Delaware is a perennial contender in what was the Atlantic 10 (now CAA for football) and after a down year should be back to their power status.

Just something to mull over on a slow day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you say 2007`s TRAP GAME?
This is a real scare for me.
The Mids will be playing AF-Pitt and Wake before this game and the adrenaline will keep them up for those but Delaware(yawnnnnn) could be that type of game the boys will not be able to get up for and it would MAKE Delawares year.